Discover the Charm of Holland’s Dutch Heritage and Lakeshore Beauty
Welcome to Holland, Michigan! As a local, I am excited to share with you some of the must-dos and hidden gems that make our city so special. Located on the shores of Lake Michigan, Holland is known for its Dutch heritage, vibrant downtown, and stunning beaches. Whether you are a first-time visitor or a seasoned traveler, there is always something new to discover in Holland. So, grab your walking shoes, sunscreen, and camera, and let’s explore this charming city together!
- Visit the Holland State Park and Beach: Holland State Park is a must-visit destination for its iconic Big Red Lighthouse, beautiful beach, and stunning sunsets. Pack a picnic and spend the day soaking up the sun on the soft sand.
- Experience Dutch Culture at Windmill Island Gardens: Step back in time and explore the authentic Dutch Windmill and surrounding gardens. Be sure to try some delicious Dutch treats like stroopwafels and poffertjes.
- Take a Walk Downtown: Holland’s downtown is a shopper’s paradise with unique boutiques, art galleries, and restaurants. Don’t miss the famous Tulip Time Festival in May when the streets are lined with beautiful tulips.
- Tour the Holland Museum: Learn about Holland’s Dutch heritage and its unique history through exhibits and artifacts at the Holland Museum.
- See the DeZwaan Windmill: The DeZwaan Windmill is the only authentic Dutch windmill in the United States. Take a guided tour and learn about its history and the art of milling.
- Visit the Nelis’ Dutch Village: Experience Dutch culture through interactive exhibits, demonstrations, and rides at Nelis’ Dutch Village.
- Enjoy Nature at the Saugatuck Dunes State Park: Take a hike and explore the breathtaking sand dunes, beaches, and forests at the Saugatuck Dunes State Park.
- Taste Local Brews at New Holland Brewing: Try some of the best craft beer in the region at New Holland Brewing. Don’t miss their famous Dragon’s Milk Bourbon Barrel-Aged Stout.
- Bike the Lakeshore Connector Trail: Rent a bike and enjoy a scenic ride along the lakeshore on the Lakeshore Connector Trail.
- Explore the Farmers Market: Shop for fresh produce, handmade crafts, and local treats at the Holland Farmers Market.
- Take a Boat Tour: See the beauty of Lake Michigan from a different perspective on a boat tour. Choose from sunset cruises, lighthouse tours, or fishing charters.
- Visit the Outdoor Discovery Center: Discover the wonders of nature through interactive exhibits, live animals, and trails at the Outdoor Discovery Center.
- Go Fishing: Cast a line and try your luck at catching perch, walleye, and bass at Lake Macatawa or Lake Michigan.
- Enjoy the Art Scene: Holland is home to a thriving art community with galleries, studios, and events throughout the year. Don’t miss the Art in the Park festival in July.
- Take a Day Trip to Saugatuck: Just a short drive from Holland, the charming town of Saugatuck offers a variety of shops, restaurants, and scenic views of the Kalamazoo River.
- Climb Mount Pisgah Stairs: This towering sand dune offers breathtaking views of Lake Michigan and the surrounding landscape. Hike to the top for a panoramic view.
With so much to see and do in Holland, Michigan, it’s no wonder it’s a popular destination for travelers from all over. Whether you’re interested in exploring the outdoors, immersing yourself in Dutch culture, or simply relaxing on the beach, Holland has something for everyone. So what are you waiting for? Plan your visit today and discover all that Holland has to offer!